As stewards of the Congregation, the Church Committee of the First Congregational Church promises to: use the Covenant with honesty and respect; strive to maintain the Covenant, both individually and collectively; work to create a sense of safety by acceptance, civility and active listening; and agree to remind each other when the Covenant is broken, at which time we will pause and decide the next step. To meet these goals, we agree to adhere to the following:
- Treat each other with respect by:
- Communicating using the first person;
- Talking directly to one another, and encouraging others to do the same;
- Focusing on issues;
- Noting the positive about another’s comments or suggestions before offering alternative views or suggestions;
- Valuing all points of view and concerns on all issues;
- Agreeing to disagree.
- To be responsible for the success of any action by:
- Recognizing that our mission, traditions and covenant give us a base of agreement that enables us work as a committee even when we disagree on particulars;
- Considering tabling an issue if more information or time is needed for a more inclusive or creative solution.
- To maintain confidentiality by:
- Reviewing items discussed at each meeting and deciding what information should be deleted from the notes to safeguard any confidential or sensitive information;
- Refraining from discussing identified confidential or sensitive information outside the Committee.
- To frequently review, revise and renew the Covenant
Revised and Accepted October 9, 2007