God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble.Psalm 46 (NRSV)
In challenging times such as these, it is important to remember that we can rely on God’s presence and accompaniment. It is also important that we take care of ourselves, and our neighbors. We know that God’s unconditional love and presence remain constant. One other thing we know is that, in times like these, good information is essential. We will do our best to keep this page updated with resources and information as well as news regarding any changes to events at Oldtown.
March 25, 2020
MASS. GOVERNOR EXTENDS SCHOOL CLOSINGS TO 5/4
Massachusetts has extended the closure of schools and non-emergency childcare until 5/4 and announced steps designed to ensure housing stability. View the announcement online.
March 24, 2020
NEW SOCIAL DISTANCING RULES IN MASS.
At noon on Tuesday, 3/24, new statewide restrictions were announced in Massachusetts. Boston.com breaks down what you can and can’t do under the new rules.
March 22, 2020
AT-HOME WORSHIP POSTED ON YOUTUBE
We have posted a video for At-Home Worship for Sunday, March 22 on YouTube. Please let us know in the comments or by email what you think and if there is anything we can do better.
March 22, 2020
OLDTOWN HAS A YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
We are proud to announce that we’ve created a YouTube channel for the Oldtown Church! Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the channel by clicking the big red SUBSCRIBE button, and click the “bell” icon so you receive notifications every time we post a new video!
March 15, 2020
MASS. ANNOUNCES MORE EMERGENCY ACTIONS
On Sunday, 3/15, Massachusetts Governor Baker announced more emergency measures including prohibiting gatherings of 25 of more until at least April 6. Read more information on the Mass.gov website.
March 14, 2020
COFFEE CONNECTION AND COFFEEHOUSE CANCELED
We have canceled Coffee Connection on Wednesday 3/18 and the Oldtown Coffeehouse on 3/20.
March 13, 2020 10:00am
IN-PERSON WORSHIP AT OLDTOWN CANCELED FOR 3/15
Regretfully, we will not be worshiping in-person at Oldtown this Sunday, March 15. We will shortly provide more information and resources that will help you worship on Sunday from wherever you are, with that same familiar “Oldtown” that you know and love. Read the letter from Pastor Kelly with this announcement, sent in our Friday Oldtown Update email.
NOTE: Links below will take you off the Oldtown Church website.
- Centers for Disease Control – Coronavirus Webpage
- World Health Organization – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak
- State health department webpages:
Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut
- General health information regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) from EverydayHealth.
- Video – Dr. Peter Lin helps separate fact from fiction on the Coronavirus, explaining how the virus spreads, based on the most current information, and how to minimize transmission, and who’s at risk. (5-minute video)
- UCC Churches establish protocols, preach awareness, not panic as COVID-19 cases grow United Church News, March 9, 2020
- Faith, Common Sense, and Reducing Panic (blog by Deborah Ringen, Transitional Minister of Health and Wellness, SNEUCC)
- These insights could help us find a healthy balance of caution and perspective: What This Doctor Wants Us to Know About Our Fears Regarding Coronavirus (March 11, 2020)
- Hand washing Resources: for adults and for kids
- Talking to children about Coronavirus from the Child Mind Institute
- Resources for talking to children from Washington School-based Health Alliance